01 December 2007

Baby It's Cold Outside!

Wow, last night was such a wild little night. It rained all day here in the desert, an uncommon sight for sure! I took you out in the back yard and we reached out under the covered deck and felt the rain dribble on our fingertips. I taught you the sign for rain and explained how it was water falling from the sky. You giggled at it but wanted to get back inside to watch Hi-5. Ah well, I tried.

But then, as we sat in the living room, the power went off for a few seconds and the TV went off. You turned around to look at me and said "Uh-oh." It was so cute. It came back on right away so all was fine. But then it went off again, for about 10 seconds, and luckily I was right by your side, because it was so pitch black I couldn't see a single thing in front of me and you could have really hurt yourself if you tried to walk! I scooped you up and when the lights came back on you had a very frightened look in your eyes! Of course this had to happen on the very occasional night that daddy went out for dinner with friends!

So I grabbed you, we collected flashlights and candles and sure enough, the power went off for an hour! I plopped you in your highchair with an apple and a flashlight as I ran around lighting candles in all the rooms! We then enjoyed a shadow puppet show since we had all these flashlights! Got to make the most of a bad situation, right? I locked us up in the playroom with Maddie, who was also pretty nervous, and we played with some toys but all you really wanted to do was run around the house with your pull toy! That was a definite no-no so I tried to get creative and make other fun things to do with the pull toy just sitting in the playroom.

Needless to say it was quite a challenge, and dinner consisted of cheerios and crackers, apple and avocado. Not your most nutritious one, but I just wanted to keep you happy and not freaked out! The lights finally came back on for bath time and we managed to finish the night like normal...and Daddy rushed home to see you before you got into bed.

Thanks for handling it like a pro. You are my brave little girl and I am so very proud of you.

0 Comments: